Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: suggestions on a good firewall

From: chort <chort () amaunetsgothique com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Ivan Coric wrote:

Lets take the SMTP protocol for example, fixup SMTP enables the mail
guard feature which only lets mail servers receive the RFC 821 commands
of HELO, MAIL, RCPT, DATA, RSET, NOOP and QUIT. All other commends are
rejected.

If you want to do a similar thing in CheckPoint you will need to
provide the INSPECT code to do it.

I can netcat through my CheckPoint FW to my mail servers, web servers
etc. Even do a HEAD request to get a banner of the web server and the CP
FW does it happily.

cheers
Ivan

Willi Web <Willi.Web () mail4web de> 06/20/03 10:25pm >>>
The FIXUP protocol is there to correct irregular behavior in normal
protocols. For example, the FTP Fixup allows traffic in on port 20
when
the traffic originated on 21. The SMTP fixup disallows certain SMTP
commands that could be used for nefarious purposes. The PIX cannot
shun
traffic based on what the FIXUP protocols detect. There is no dynamic
ACL creation possible.

The PIX is not a true application level firewall. I can send NETCAT
traffic over HTTP and the PIX will never know. Whereas the Checkpoints
and Raptors can detect anomalies in traffic, and act on them.

--Chris

Sorry for jumping in the middle of a thread here, but I wanted to
mention what a pain FIXUP SMTP/Mailguard is.  It breaks ESMTP and causes
nice things like STARTTLS to not work :(  If you have a hardend mail
gateway, you should NO FIXUP SMTP and enable TLS, strong authentication,
etc.  Of course, if you are NAT'ing port 25 directly into Exchange, that
might be slightly less wise.

--
-chort
AKA Brian Keefer

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm