Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: perl scrambling

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:44:45 +0530

On 20/06/03 15:14 -0400, Charles Lacroix wrote:

Hi group,

The main reason i want to scramble the application is "it's on my todo list at
work". The second reason is to make it as hard as possible for people to
modify the code mainly because we do not want to deal
with supporting our application if it has been modified by a client.
Maintain an internal MD5sum with yourself on each code version.
Check client code version, check your and client MD5sum, if they don't
match, contract is invalid.

We had troubles with that in the past, and we do not want to deal with it
anymore.

We what to protect the code because we sale the application and do not
want some other company to use what we have and modify it to sale it again.
Harsh. You will want to compile your code, or just encrypt it and
deliver to the customer. Everything except one initial file will be
encrypted, the initial file decrypts the application into memory and
runs it from there. Not entirely foolproof, but it should keep out the
people who would just copy the software.

<snip>

Devdas Bhagat

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm