Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: network segment range which NIDS can detect?

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <BStrauss () acm org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:38:43 -0500

With a switch, the default action if it can't be sure of a specific port to
use (fail safely) is to send the packet on to all of the ports except the
one it was received from.

Too many packets may overwhelm the per port buffers
Too many MAC addresses for the (usually 1K or 4K) buffer
True broadcast packets (both MAC and perhaps higher level)

etc.

-----Burton