Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Setting UP Microsoft OWA

From: "DeGennaro, Gregory" <Gregory_DeGennaro () csaa com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:22:54 -0700

I do not know why you want to do this?

A)  86%+ of malicious activity comes from internally.
B)  Dedicated machines for single processes is recommended unless you have a
4th generation SUN computer in which you have hardware domains.

Have you tried configuring the IIS server for (2) OWA processes?

I am still skeptical about this because you should have an Internet hardened
OWA server in DMZ or a Whale Communications e-GAP server or some sort of
webmail proxy in the DMZ.  And then have your internal OWA sever inside your
internal LAN.  Or accept the risk of a potentially crackable system, even
with SecureID because OWA does not protect the client side where most of the
cracking takes place.

Greg