Security Basics mailing list archives

Moderator's note: limit your bulky disclaimers

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:49:43 -0600 (MDT)

Greetings,

There have been many posts to the list recently with bulky disclaimers,
often in excess of 10 lines long. These are annoying and of questionable
legality, especially when you post a message to a mailing list with 12,000
people and you have no control over who receives your email.

I have been approving some of these messages for the time being, but I've
also issued a friendly warning message directly to the offenders. In the
future I may well reject posts outright with these bulky disclaimers.

If this applies to you, please adjust your mail software so that
disclaimers are not attached to your emails, or at the very least limit
them to just a few lines. If you are not able to do this, consider using a
free email provider such as Yahoo, Hotmail or Fastmail (free IMAP) where
you have control over the signature.

Aside from this (and as always) thanks for contributing to
Security-Basics!

--
Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Moderator, Security-Basics

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm