Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Distressing, possibly life threatening emails from free accounts (yahoo, hotmail

From: Kevin Saenz <ksaenz () spinaweb com au>
Date: 31 May 2003 07:50:19 +1000

Firstly I would have a look at the email headers to see is the mail
address was forged in most cases email addresses can be forged from
the likes of hotmail, and yahoo. but you will be able to see the where
abouts the email actual origin of the email. Then find out who owns
the range of ip addresses came from then inform the police or your
government agency as to the nature of the email, and the origin of
the email as well inform the owner of the blocks of ip addresses
what has happened. They should be very helpful in providing logs and
at times who the owner of the account. This is as long as the email
address is forged from yahoo.
If the email is actually from yahoo then all you need to do is send
the email to abuse () yahoo com with the full header and content of the
email attached. make sure you have the header of the email otherwise
your complaint will be completely is useless.

That would be what I'd do.

One of our users has received questionable and possibly life threatening
emails from a yahoo account that was created recently.  They have approached
us to find out as much as we can pertaining to the person sending it.

Of course, we are not YAHOO so we cannot determine anything about the mail
other than the content.

How can we find out who sent this?

--
Regards,