Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ptrace24 - How It apeared in my box?

From: "Muhammad Naseer Bhatti" <mail-lists () digitallinx com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:26:25 +0500

Probably have run the ptrace exploit, got root and installed rootkit. You
*must* have given shell access to your users and one of them did it :-)
Don't rely on just removing the files but get a fresh install of the OS as
this would be the best resort for you. Would it be possible for you to zip
the files from the malicious directory and send it over to me for analysis?

-Naseer