Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encryption Level of web site

From: "Dana Epp" <dana () vulscan com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:49:14 -0700

Firstly, being that nessus uses nasl scripts and plugins from source, you
SHOULD be able to find out exactly what they are doing from there. Check
something like /usr/src/nessus/nessus-plugins/ to get a better
understanding. I would guess from your email that you want to know how the
SSL cipher checks work in nessus. I haven't taken a look, but I would guess
its pretty straight forward.

The trick is to connect to the server via SSL, and then find out the ciphers
available to the server by querying it. You can pretty much get all this
info by checking the RFC specs, but a lot of heavy lifting is done for you
already if you were to use something like the openssl libs, which should
work on the platforms you want to query from.

As a starting point I would check out http://www.openssl.org/docs/ and read
up on the SSL API. Basically you want to use a basic SSL connection
framework and call the ultra secret API call to do it all for ya....
SSL_get_ciphers(), which is the API call to get the list of available
ciphers for the given target. To get you started, I would check out
http://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/ssl.html

Good luck. Happy hacking.

---
Regards,