Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encryption through NAT and State table

From: "Firegoblin Postmaster" <postmaster () firegoblin com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:07:25 +0100

AFAIK 'statefulness' can be used in more than one sense.

A Layer4 firewall can use TCP connection *state* to link inbound and
outbound traffic, whereas a Layer3 'stateful' firewall uses socket pairs
i.e. IP:Port <-> IP:Port (so that sessionless protocols such as UDP can be
controlled).

As the term 'stateful' firewall doesn't have a precise technical definition
(that I know of) they can both be (and are!)described as 'stateful' - though
many will argue about the latter!!

The problem of running an IPSec VPN in your situation would be the key
exchange. Many cheap SOHO routers (i.e. ?50) will automaticallly forward the
IKE traffic (UDP/500) for a local IPSec node (so called IPSec Pass-Thru)
when an IPSec VPN is 'detected', if the PIX can do the same you could be in
business.