Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IDS question [was: Re: Firewall and DMZ topology]

From: "Mann, Bobby" <bmann () forzani com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:03:34 -0600

External IDS can be inline or passive sitting on a span port.  For any ISP
or hosting facility bandwidth, routers and servers are a big issue.

IDS is very important if you have a 99.999% SLA with your clients, you don't
want to take any chances with any sort of downtime.

So in my opinion I think it's important to monitor critical segments in any
network.  Especially, external (who's knocking on your door) methodology.
But that depends on your need and requirements.  for small business IDS
maybe too much (cost vs. benefit), plus PIX and Cisco routers have built in
IDS (IP audit rules) to watch 50 critical signatures.  But a company with no
SLA and uptime requirements of 99.9% or more may not need IDS.  Can the
company be down for a few hours out of the year in case of an attack?
Another thing, if you get bandwidth from a major ISP you can ask them to
rate limit (CAR) ICMP and udp traffic and have them black hole other traffic
when necessary.

Medium size businesses should think about it and conduct an impact analysis.

Enterprise companies should have IDS outside/inside.  Too much liability to
the shareholders if something goes south.  Need to be proactive no matter
what company you work at.  However in an enterprise company it's important
to show anything you can on paper to the shareholders and the executive
team.

Plus, with inline IDS you can program your own signatures and block them
from coming in.  Remember Code-Red and others?  Well it can be blocked at
the gateway using NBAR or inline IDS.  Big performance impact but your still
within the SLA.  Since the virus changes faces you must be able to pick it
up.

At the end of the day I am right down the center with IDS.  But IDS is no
good to admins that don't have policies, procedures and the ability to react
or just don't give damn.  Companies need to have the ability to react within
5 minutes to an attack.

The IDS needs to be on every critical network segment at the least.

Anyways that's just my opinion and I have done a lot of security work and
high availability designs.