Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: dns-ish question.

From: "sodium" <sodiumlist () phreaker net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 16:45:35 -0400

After the person finished the attack, he could have deleted the
name.domain.tld hostname from his dns server. That is why you can't resolve
it now. Some people also do this with IRC to avoid denial of service
attacks. They connect from an ip that reverses and forwards to foo.bar.com.
After the IRC server verifys they have connected from a real hostname. The
user will then delete the dns record or change the ip that the hostname
points to in the dns record. So if you try to ping the person's hostname, it
will go to whatever new ip the person has assigned that hostname to or wont
resolve. DNS is dynamic in a since, if someone connects an hour ago to your
server and his/her ip resolves to foo.bar.com, doesn't mean its going to
resolve to that now or even exist.

Hope that clears everything up,

sodium
mobsters.net