Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Securing a Win2k DNS server outside firewall...

From: "dave" <dave () netmedic net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:53:39 -0400

IF all it is a DNS server then:

Go to Network Properties;
Properties of the NIC you are protecting;
Leave only TCP/IP selected;
Highlight TCP/IP and Select properties;
Select advanced;
Select the WINS tab;
Select Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP;
Select Options;
Select TCP/IP Filtering Properties;
Select Enable TCP/IP Filtering for All Adapters;

Select Permit Only in all three boxes;
TCP add 53,1026,1027,1028,1029
UDP add 53,1026,1027,1028,1029
IP Proto add 6

Reboot and that is it.

You can verify it in Regedt32 by looking under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interf
aces\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} (the external interface)
RawIPAllowedProtocols:REG_MULTI-SZ:6
TCPAllowedPorts:REG_MULTI-SZ:53,1026,1027,1028,1029
UDPAllowedPorts:REG_MULTI-SZ:53,1026,1027,1028,1029

Now everyone is going to start bitching about what are the UDP ports for
1026 etc...... the answer is, I do not know but by playing around with this,
it is the configuration I got to work. I have 3 DNS servers running in this
configuration.

Also you can add 20,21 and 80,443 and IIS and FTP can run on them.

Dave

Dave Kleiman
dave () netmedic net
www.netmedic.net