Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Book Review

From: "Brad Bemis" <Brad.Bemis () airborne com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:22:30 -0700

These are not meant to be books for reading or for learning how to develop
policies or apply personnel security programs.  They are built as a series
of objective statements and supporting commentary so that you as a policy
developer can sit down, figure out what areas of security your policy needs
to cover, and use the objective statements as the foundation for coverage.
The book is very useful as an example tool, but I think that it also makes
it tempting for folks to simply build 'cut and paste' security policies
that have limited value in the applicable environment (policies must be
tailored to meet individual organizational needs, there is no 'one size
fits all').

The reason the books are so expensive?  It is like hiring a consultant in a
bottle...  You are actually getting good value for your money, but only if
you use the information in an appropriate manner.

I purchased a copy of the ver9 policy book about 4 months ago (though I
already had versions 5 and 6 available to me).  The new version is broken
down into areas of coverage in-line with ISO 17799 and comes with a handy
CD so that you really and truly can just do a cut and paste (of those items
that are applicable) and modify them without too much effort.

Again, this book is not meant to teach you who to write policy, it is to be
used for sampling.  If you want to learn about policy development, "Writing
Information Security Policies" by Scott Berman isn't too bad...  Though
personally, I have not found a policy book that impresses me yet.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your time and attention,

========================
Brad Bemis
Information Security Services
Airborne Express
(206) 830-3478
Email Notice: This communication may contain sensitive information. If you
are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this
communication in error; do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or
otherwise use the information contained herein for any purpose. Please
alert the sender that you have received this message in error, and delete
the copy that you received.