Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Ten least secure programs

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:27:18 -0700

From: "Vic Parat \(NSS\)" <vic.parat () nssecurity com>
I would definitely question some of your choices (is Apache more secure than
IIS?)

Given that the vulnerability list at securityfocus is about half the size of IIS, I'd say yes.

but I think top honors for "the ten least secure computer items" is an
under qualified system administrator.

True, but not very helpful for what I'm trying to do, basically offtopic.

This also makes this "top ten" list
kind of pointless and highly subjective because proper configuration is
everything in security

I don't agree, some products are just naturally more secure than others, qmail as opposed to sendmail for example.

and a properly configured IIS box is by far more
secure then an improperly configured Apache box.

True, but as I stated earlier, I'm looking for programs with poor design, not just poor configuration.

Also, how did  you come up with the list?  You say "worst offenders", what
are your facts?

Sheer volume of vulnerabilities, exploits and repeated problems. Items with a consistently bad track record such that you see them in the tech news all the time.

I think your question should be more in line with "what's
everybody's least liked computer item in terms of security" than the least
secure.

Well, you're free to ask that question but it's not one I was interested in.

I don't think anybody (outside of the government) has a truly
objective, well researched list to answer your question as it currently
stands.

I'm not looking for objectivity, I'm looking for subjective opinions of experts.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Encrypt everything, and ask questions later."

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.
Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.
Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm