Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Finding hidden backdoors

From: "Tim Greer" <chatmaster () charter net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:25:50 -0700

The backdoor could easily only accept connections from non local sources, or
a specific source.  It's probably easier to just run netstat, lsof, etc.
from a clean. trusted media... or also boot into single user mode from a
trusted kernel image.  In fact, you should always have trusted kernel images
on the server anyway, for purposes of being able to boot if the other image
is corrupted or modified.  As for LKM, I don't compile with lkm support in
my kernels for many reasons (security being one of them), but a lot of
people do, so...
--
Regards,
Tim Greer  chatmaster () charter net