Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IP address allocation

From: "Scott M. Algatt" <salgatt () turtleshell net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:52:18 -0400 (EDT)

This is totally up to the ISP itself.  They may have had the block
previously allocated to something else that they did reverse DNS for.

They may also do reverse DNS for sanity sake.  Lots of ISPs give a
location and other information as to where the IP is allocated.  For
instance, comcast has: 68.82.4.14

This IP resolves back to

pcp01631289pcs.tybout01.de.comcast.net

the de signifies that the IP is in Delaware.  I don't know the rest but it
helps them identify the region that the IP is allocated.

Regards,

Scott M. Algatt

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.