Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: domain ACL?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:43:05 -0700

  Most DNS servers probably respond on the same port as was the
origin of the query they're responding to.  Some clients (and a
DNS server that forwards or recurses a request is also a client)
issue requests FROM port 53 as well as to.
  UDP to port 53 should be accepted from any port.  DNS responses
may be directed to any port, but should be coming from port 53.

David Gillett