Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Deploying Microsoft patches

From: David <dcorking () yahoo fr>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:36:21 -0400

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, D N Vaidya wrote:

May I know what is SUS stands for? Also I want to know the best practice for
deploying new Service Packs and Hot fixes in production environment. Because
I faced some problems after installing SP4 of Win2K server on one production
machin. That machine became very slow and stopped sending mails to the
Internet but i can send mails within Intranet.

Next time I dont want to repeate same mistek.

Every desktop support group I have worked with in larger firms has had
controlled pilots of SP and hotfix rollouts.  Seems to work well for
them as a best practice.  Obviously it can't catch every interaction
but gives a comfort level.

Also where I can get the
technical info of new service packs i.e. what changes that SP is going to do
on my system and is there any way to roll back only required component of SP
or Hot fix.

technet.microsoft.com usually has these answers.  For W2K SP4 the
technet article is unusually thorough - (I can't determine if it is accurate
but I don't have any complaints)

Hope this helps.