Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Microsot Liability for vulnerabilities

From: Ranjeet Shetye <ranjeet.shetye2 () zultys com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:06:12 -0700

Tim, let me give a simple analogy.

Let us assume that both Windows and Linux are like tyres, and exploits are like tyre punctures. And the PHB is replaced by the Wife.

In the case of Windows, you purchase a brand name tyre, which you put on your car. When a puncture happens, your wife will not nag you about your mistake, since you purchased a well known brand i.e. you did not make a mistake in the eyes of the Powers That Be. However you are not allowed to carry an extra tyre, because of the EULA you agreed to when you bought the tyres. Also, you can only get tyre replacements (read update/patch/fix) ONLY according to the wishes of the Windows Tyre company. In the meantime, until you reach a designated tyre update station, you have drive with a flat tyre which can/will damage your car. Of course, the EULA has deprived you of all rights to sue in case of such damages.

Linux is like a lesser-known brand used by a lot less number of people. This tyre is used primarily by sports-car enthusiasts, and people in the "know". If there is a puncture, your wife will nag you cos you didn't buy your tyres from a well known company. However, replacement Linux tyres are available *everywhere* for **FREE** and by air-drop too (xlation: 0day exploits are fixed in 3 hrs, GPL ensures world-wide availability of the fix)! Amazingly, you can carry 10 spares in your glove box (xlation: no worries about licencing or imaging). Moreover, these tyres incorporate run-flat technology so your car does not have to grind to a halt and you can even replace punctured Linux tyres on the move (xlation: no reboots are necessary). So, can the Linux tyre ever puncture ? Yes, it will, that's Real Life (TM) for you. However, the Linux tyres are statistically a hack lot more stable and reliable, whereas the Windows tyres benefit primarily from the marketing big bucks.

Me. I would go with the Linux tyres.

As for your statements,
1) "All of the ***** lovers will instantly be shocked by the attacks...", and 2) "...fixes for the exploits as hackers run rampant through their systems.", they seem more applicable to the latest Cisco and Windows exploits than to any recent OSS exploit. And who would have thunk that Windows ME would be the only secure OS from MS ? I dont know whether to laugh or to cry.

--
Ranjeet Shetye
Senior Software Engineer