Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security+

From: Gedi <gediintheuk () yahoo co uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:34:38 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all,

In addition to Simons original question, I too am
looking for security certs.

I currently have a Cisco CCNA and am on the road to
completing my degree in computers. However, due to
circumstances out of my control, I have never held a
job in the security industry. I am currently an
engineer.

I have however been heavily into computer security and
penetration since a for many many years, writting many
papers on securing UNIX, linux, networks, windows and
general telecomunications. I am now in a situation
where I can change my career into security and have
been building this up recently by taking the courses
mentioned initially.

I have looked into taking the certs mentioned i.e.
CISSP, CISA, Security+ but all require proof of actual
experience in the industry.
Is this experience in industry mandatory?
Its difficult to accept that you must have x amount of
years experience even though you may find the exams
are within your scope.

If this is the case, does anyone know of any other
recognised certs which do not require industrial
experience.

Thanks