Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: secure vpn or telnet sessions

From: "Trevor Cushen" <Trevor.Cushen () sysnet ie>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:02:35 -0000

Do you want to use Telnet over a VPN session?

SSH2 should replace the telnet session and SSH can be run over or though
a VPN connection.  I had this problem and a W2K VPN solution worked
perfectly as follows.

Client(W2K Pro with IPSEC client and SSH client)-->Internet-->W2K VPN
Server-->My Unix server(SSH2 Server)

The client would establish a VPN session to my VPN server and get
assigned a ip address etc and all 3des encryption for traffic.  Then on
their desktop they had a ssh client tool to open a session to the unix
server.  Of course the ssh will not work until the vpn link is
established.  Very easy setup and very secure as really everything is
encrypted and multiple authentication is used.  With no hassle for the
end user and easier to setup then might appear judgeing by this email.

Hope this helps.

Trevor Cushen
Sysnet Ltd

www.sysnet.ie