Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: security scenario

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:44:29 -0800

From: "theog" <theog () theog org>
I agree , in my opinion , if someone got to the machine's keyboard ,
be it phisically or via a remote console device , he can do virtually
anything, in fact, the simplest thing to do (if I wanted to change the
root for a machine I dont have the password for) is to boot with a
linux cd , mount the root partition , then do chroot , and passwd ,
so ..... no point is having a grub password for the machine if you
have users you dont trust , with access to that machine console.

Physical access will yield root access given time, knowledge, and tools. That said, I still disagree, security is not one thing, it is a compilation of little things that add up. No one is hack proof, but by adding layer after layer of complications for the attacker, you make yourself an uninviting target, and become hack resistant. You have to draw the line somewhere or your administrative burden will grow greater than you can handle, but I believe that a grub password (or requiring root password for single user mode) would be a good idea as it's easy to setup and maintain, but makes things a little more difficult for the attacker (not to mention curious employees messing with things they shouldn't be). I also think bios passwords are a good idea, sure any monkey who can open the case can pop the battery and reset it, but that's one more step they have to do, and around most workplaces you'll get quite a bit of unwanted attention if you start taking your computer apart and you don't work in IT. On top of this, removing the CD-ROM drive and Floppy drive from any workstation that doesn't require it, is a good idea as it slows them down even further, and requires more knowledge, and some parts to bypass. With these three things in place they'll need a screwdriver, a linux cd, a cd-rom drive, enough knowledge to open the case install the cd-rom, set the jumpers on cd-rom and IDE, reset the cmos, then boot up and use their linux cd to bypass your grub password. Can it be done sure, is it hard, not really for a trained person, I could probably do it in under 20 minutes, but how many people have that level of training, and can get unobserved access to the machine for that long? Personally I feel that would stop anything but a determined and knowledgeable attacker who has time and physical access. If you have good physical security (locks, alarms etc.) that makes it even harder. If someome is determined enough to get through all that there isn't any way you're going to stop him anyways, but I consider that a much lower order of probability than the kind of people who could get in without having those three precautions.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"For Sys Admins paranoia isn't a mental health problem, its a marketable job skill."