Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: linux version (fwd)

From: Jay DeSotel <jay () interl net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:40:34 -0600 (CST)

We are finally going to jump into the linux world (we've been using
windows)  . Everything I read suggests linux for security based
solutions.  My initial open-ende dquestion is .. Is there a
preferable maker/version of linux that we should start with.
Considerations include:

security strength
Redhat or Slackware, but your flavor choice makes a pretty small
difference here, see below.

Hardware compatibility
Redhat or Slackware, again not a big deal, see below.

Learning curve (important but not critical)
Probably Redhat, see below again.

Ease of configuring
Redhat, and to an extent Slackware

Software compatibility
Doesnt matter.

Scalability
Doesnt matter.

Redhat has been a little more "newbie" friendly, but in my opinion loses
some quality in doing so. Myself I swear by Slackware these days. Just
keep in mind that when you are talking security, or the lack thereof, the
box is only as secure as the person(s) that maintain it. If you keep
everything updated and dont have services open that you dont need, things
are fine 99% of the time on almost any *nix.

I dont use RPM's anymore, I install everything from source. Redhats
up2date and RPM systems are very nice for people new to *nix though.

This is all my opinion, and may not make any sense to anyone reading this,
I should not answer emails when I have very little sleep under my belt
;-).

Cheers,

--
AA7C EF9F 451F E4AF EB1E  7212 BA37 2882 E813 5B02