Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: linux version

From: Leo Security <security () fastmail fm>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:39:51 -0500

IMHO SuSE is the best. As regards security, thats something you will have to take care of yourself. All OSes are a bit insecure out of the box. SuSE is easy to install and configure. They have a configuration tool called YAST2 which is excellent. Its the most popular Linux distro in Europe. The current version is 8.1.
regards
Leo

hometeam () goeaston net wrote:

We are finally going to jump into the linux world (we’ve been using windows) … Everything I read suggests linux for security based solutions. My initial open-ende dquestion is …. Is there a preferable maker/version of linux that we should start with… Considerations include:

security strength
Hardware compatibility
Learning curve (important but not critical)
Ease of configuring
Software compatibility
Scalability

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice

Tim