Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Email server+network architecture

From: "Robert Buel" <rbuel () asd-web com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:23:56 -0600

How about implementing a front-end/back-end server arhitecture with a
SMTP server in your DMZ which accepts incoming mail for your domains,
and then forwards to your internal mail server (which actually contains
the mailboxes for your users) SMTP would be the only protocol enabled
from the DMZ mailserver to the internal mailserver.
The restricted users would point to the internal server for both pop and
smtp, only receive incoming mail, local and internet, but not
successfully send to the world (block outbound smtp for the internal
smtp server at the firewall). The unlimited mail users would have an
identical configuration, only configure their smtp to point to the SMTP
server in the DMZ. They can relay off that server to send to the
internet.

Thoughts?

+Bob