Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Account lockout

From: "Brian Stoneburner (Postmaster)" <bstoneburner () wcisteel com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:14:09 -0500

Alex,
        It would seem the way you are doing this has some problems.  Here is some
advice:

Create a service account to run your scripts under.
Rename your admin account and change the passowrd.  Put the password in a
safe.  Give the combination to the CIO.
Create a domain admin account for each of your admins and enable auditing.

Never setup services running from the "primary" administrator account -
always use a service account.
Use auditing to determine what is account is being logged into.  With this
information you can determine
if you have a rogue admin user.

Brian