Security Basics mailing list archives

Sam file

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 09:02:01 -0800

From: Gedi <gediintheuk () yahoo co uk>
I can't tell how to break into a particular system,
they are all different...I can guide you towards the
right way of thinking, and material to read up on.

 --- Chris Berry <compjma () hotmail com> wrote: > >From:
> Haven't heard of this one before.  I have a SAM file
> in C:\winnt\repair but
> the permissions look ok, pretty much only the admin
> can get in there.  I
> read a few NT webpages that say the solution to this
> security hole is to
> change the permissions.  Does this mean I'm safe
> after all, or do I have a
> vulnerability here?  (I'm using win2k)

I don't much care about that, I'm just looking to find out if there is a relevant best practice related to this. I try to exert all due diligence in secuing my network, is this something I should do something about, or is it just one of those things that I should be aware of.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"For Sys Admins paranoia isn't a mental health problem, its a marketable job skill."