Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: security scenario

From: "Trevor Cushen" <Trevor.Cushen () sysnet ie>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:03:36 -0000

What about this for a cat amoung the pigeons!!!

Physical security is in place, root access is via console only (all
previously discussed)

A user can gain access via the lan (as part of their job) and places
netcat (which is most likely already there on most Linux installs
anyway).  They then schedule overnight a dd of the system disk to a disk
in their machine over the network (very easy to do)  What priviledges do
they need??  I must check this but I have a feeling they will have
access to /dev files and also the /bin files where netcat and dd are (or
/sbin).

Now they can bring the newly cloned disk home and in their own time
brute force root passwords, or boot via CDROM to by-pass the password
and gain access to data.

Very much possible and infact quite easy to do (I use it for forensics
investigations where I can't shutdown the machine), clone a machine over
a network connection.

Your physical server room security is useless and also your root at
console only security.  Your bios passwords are useless here too as is
your grub password.

The point I am making here is that you have to match the solution to the
environment so there will never be a true solution for all because all
environments are different.

Trevor Cushen
Sysnet Ltd

www.sysnet.ie