Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: passwords

From: "Högman, Lars" <Lars.Hogman () concordiabus com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:25:21 +0100

One (usually) good way to teach users about the how and why of passwords is to sit down with them and browse the
network, preferably some very important folders, and ask them how their manager would react if I deleted all the files
there.
"After all, it's your account that does the deleting, so don't try to blame me" (make sure you don't sound too serious
at this point...)
Most secret notes disappear shortly after this.

A large number of users never make the connection between what they have the right to do in a network, and that there
comes a responsibility not to abuse those rights -unless you make them fear the consequences.

The only problems I've had with this approach is finding the time for it, and realising in time that I'm informing
someone more paraniod than myself...

/Lasse

From: "Robert Sieber" <securityfocus () different-thinking de>
It doesn't make sense because 90 days is too long. A password should be
changed
at least after 30 days - if they are strong enough. A cracker has 90 days
to find out the correspondig password .....

If I tried that here, everyone would have sticky notes on their monitor, or
if you crack down on that they'd get "clever" and hide it somewhere else
like under their keyboard or something.  How did you get around this
problem?  Or you have a very different definition of what a strong password
is, my example of a strong password would be like this: X-ik]>_:72

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates