Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: wireless security question.

From: "MacFerrin, Ken" <Ken_MacFerrin () csgsystems com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:38:37 -0600

Paul,

A company that I previously worked at used WEP 128 with a bi-weekly key update at all their US offices (plus a measure
of physical security).  The updated key was distributed using an NT authenticated intranet webpage.  This of course was
backed up with a highly monitored network, strongly enforced security policies, and nearly all internal systems
requiring additional levels of authentication ranging from NT to PKI once on the network.

To touch on the password thread that's also going on.. This company also enforced a password policy that required an NT
and voicemail password change every 60 days and used some type of technical tool to enforce strong passwords.  The tool
required that each password had a minimum length, contained some level of complexity (letters, CAPS, symbols and
numbers), could not contain any part of the username and could not be significantly similar to a previously used
password..