Security Basics mailing list archives

klez worm

From: "Mada Dulate" <madadulate () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 17:56:22 -0500

Over the last three days I have received about three dozen email notifications from my service provider indicating that they blocked emails to me that contained the klez worm. I have been with this ISP for a year plus and virus filtering is not a new service to them. I have never been notified of any problems in the past. I am very careful and pretty low profile.

Looking at the headers, they all appear to be from different sources, although I realize that that can be spoofed. They have been sent to two addresses that I use as forwarding addresses and several have been sent directly to my ISP email address, which I never give out.

I talked with my ISP, but they had nothing to offer me.

My question is: Can anyone offer an explanation of why I would start getting such a flurry of "attacks", especially considering that they are to three different, unrelated addresses? I don't see anything indicating any general increase in this worm, but I know it has (quietly?) taken the lead out there.

Any hindsights?

Thanks,

Mada