Security Basics mailing list archives

Tracking remote user activity

From: "Roger D. Vargas" <rogerdv () softhome net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:40:05 -0500

I have an strange problem, some days ago one of my users complain about
somebody who was tracking him and knew all the mails and sites he visited. He
says he only exchanged mails (using his yahoo account) with that intruder
(who works for a 3M branch in Mexico and says that they use such tracking
system "to protect themselves from virus").
My network uses a linux server running squid as proxy and most users use
different PCs to browse the web and compose mails (so, I can almost discard a
possible trojan).
Can somebody give me an idea about such tracking software and how can I
protect my users?

--
Roger D. Vargas
ICQ: 117641572