Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: workgroup

From: "Kenzo" <kenzo_chin () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:03:20 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vic Parat" <vic.parat () nssecurity com>
To: "Kenzo" <kenzo_chin () hotmail com>; <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: workgroup

Kenzo,
  This reason you're seeing windows workgroup "pop up" is that they
broadcast their names every so often and that broadcast is cached.  Going
ad will not stop the broadcast and they will still show up.

I meant to say that I wanted to go to AD not to stop this, but just because
It's better.

 Workgroups are
base on a peer to peer model where accounts are held locally to each
machine, you really couldn't get in unless you had an account on each
machine belonging to the workgroup.  Regardless of the local policy, they
will still need to broadcast their nbt name table which you can capture
via
your local nbt cache: c:\nbtstat -c.  At which point you can look them up
via: c:\nbtstat -A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (their ip address).  Look for any nbt
types <03> (messenger service), it will should list their computer name
and
the currently logged on account.  This all assuming they have not disabled
NetBIOS on their network interface, in which all of this is mute including
the name broadcast.  You can also look at your current leases on your dhcp
server.

Sorry I forgot to mention, we don't use DHCP and never will.  Everything is
static.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear enought. Let me try again.
When joe brings his computer to work, his computer will most likely have a
different workgroup setup like say, joehome.
So when I browse the network neighborhood, I see the workgroup joehome.
Then If I go into joehome, I will see joe.
But, what I'm trying to say is that, if I see the workgroup joehome, and try
to access it, it times out or get some error message.
How can I see what computer name is in that workgroup.  Without the computer
name I can't do a nbtstat command to get the Ip adsress.
I hope this is more helpfull.

Side note: you're given your end users a lot of credit regarding their
technical knowledge.  My experience shows that users don't know a thing
about workgroups, local policies, or protocol filtering.  They just plug
in
and expect to be able to do their job.
Vic Parat