Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Risk analysis tools?

From: "A.G. Williams" <drew911s () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:44:45 -0800 (PST)

There are scores of risk analysis tools in the
marketplace. It greatly depends on the type of
analysis you want to perform, and the level you want
to go.

If you are looking for simple network penetration
tools, you can get those off the Internet. But it's
generally the "buyer-beware" rule. From my experience
as a former product manager for some of the leading
technologies in network and host assessment and IDS,
I'd actually recommend technologies we competed
against--some of which have gone from the freeware to
legitimate corporate-driven technologies. Tools from
SAINT and SourceFire (Marty Rousch's new company)
would be essential in your search, and if you're
interested in good network mapping and scanning, take
a good look at the NESSUS stuff, and NMap.

I also heard rumor that Dan Farmer was planning to
commercialize his COPS application. Anything Farmer
did would be top-notch quality.

Also beware of the cutesy graphic-generation tools
that show the pretty pictures of your network. They
might look good on the screen or as a background in a
NOC, but they do little to actually mend fences and
notify of events actually dangerous to your
infrastructure.

Most of the stuff regarding "event analysis" is tied
to auditing. So be sure to look at good audit tools as
part of your risk management plans. NetForensics has
some interesting technology, but more importanly, some
good developers. Some of my friends at NetIQ say
they've got some good stuff as well--so I'd suggest
you look over the NetIQ/PentSafe tools.

But on a more "businessy" note, it's one thing to run
an application to identify risks--remember that you
need to use some form of risk management methodology
to actually address the stuff you find. That's where
the real "Intrusion Prevention" becomes more than a
marketing buzz phrase.

But most importantly, don't trust the new guys on the
block. Just because they think they created something
in a university lab, or got funding from some private
venture partner who didn't know anything about the
current trends in IT Sec technology, doesn't mean
they're making a better mouse trap.

Stick with the veterans who pioneered this stuff. It's
always best to follow the people, as the technology
can often be over- or (in most cases),
UNDER-developed.

Good luck.

Drew Williams