Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ssh login protection

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:07:36 -0800

        A while ago there was a 'Dynamic Hostname' solution. I believe
it was called DynDNS. I've heard these services are still around, and a
couple of buds use one for their ADSL (PPPoE) service to maintain a
single address (whatever.someservice.com) even though their IP changes.
After searching google my first hit was
(http://www.dtdns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=info.hosts) you could use a
solution like that then just allow that hostname to gain access. Another
solution is to get a shell account at RootShell or SDF (my favorite
http://sdf.lonestar.org/). Then allow SSH from that server to yours.
Personally I have a shell acct at a local ISP here in Reno
(www.gbis.com) and just allow connections from their server IP addy.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA