Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cryptography/Cryptanalysis

From: Lesley van Zijl <zyl () xs4all nl>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:06:28 +0000

I ordered 2 books about cryptography a week ago:
- Modern Cryptography: Theory and Practice
- Practical Cryptography

I got the titles from:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=114515&highlight=crypto

About implementing it, think about the SSL encryption on some websites. I thought that was pretty interesting so I took some time too find out what it really does, and it really was interesting :), it uses symmetric cryptography, public/private key cryptography, digesting.
So if you want to taste some cryptography read about ssl :)

nokio x0 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm really interested in the field of cryptanalysis, but am not really familiar with cryptography. The texts I have read have explained what cryptography is, but havent really given me an example of implementing it in real life(ie: encrypting a unix file system with aes(just an example)). If there are any books/online texts you can refer me to please do so. Also, what guides/books do you recommend I should take a look at on the subject of Cryptanalysis? My goal is to some-day become a cryptanalist for the NSA. Sounds cheasy but from what I know about cryptology, facinates me.
Thanks in advance, any response will be much appreciated.

-j3

"You can stop this individual, but you can't stop us all...After all, we're all alike..." - The Mentor

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es