Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: compromised network

From: Francisco Mário Ferreira Custódio <fcustodio () eda pt>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:30:39 -0100

Hello Dana.

All questions make sense!

If your network has been compromised, you should alert the authorities. You
should collect as much informations as possible in order to track the bad
guys. According to your e-mail...it looks like the bad guys used your
systems to make a dump site. It seems you have been attacked by some "warez"
freaks trying to get space for dumping files.

To check for any rogue stuff, you should check all the processes running on
each box, you should check the traffic for layer 4 information (tcp/udp
packets and ports) to figure out what's running in and out. Finnaly you
should check for layer 3 information (Ip addresses) destinations and
origins, check for suspicious IP addresses.

Ethereal provides you useful information, when you finnish your
captures..Ethereal organizes the packets in a very reading friendky way. You
can see all the information I was talking. Check all this informations with
your syslog.

You will be doing forensics work at this time.

I strongly advise you to deploy a Network IDS (Snort is a good choice). The
nIDS will alert you of any suspicious activity within your network.

Good luck.

FC