Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to track who reads/changes files on NT4.0 server in NT4 domain?

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 26 Dec 2003 12:29:45 -0000

We need the ability to track what users read and change files in a specific
directory on a NT 4.0 server in an NT 4.0 domain (not the entire server).

I'm not seeing any built-in auditing that will do that.

You need to enable auditing for File and Object Access, then set the SACLs on the directories/files that you want to
monitor.  Event Logs will then be generated.

Is there any software which will do the monitoring and
generate reports?

Generating the data is no problem.  Generating the reports will be the issue...you'll have to collect the Event Log
entries and then parse them in order to generate a report.  That is not too difficult to do...you can easily do this in
Perl, or using third-party tools (psloglist) to get the entries and then use Perl to generate the reports.

I don't know of any software that will collect all of the entries with specific IDs and then give you a report of which
file was accessed by which user.

Harlan