Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: heuristics, on or off?

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:14:08 -0800

        Heuristics are a 'best guess' system. Basically when you have
heuristics turned on the software will look for 'close matches' of
patterns and activity. Having heuristics on can lead to false positives
but can also ketch virii that haven't made it into the definitions
files. If I have the option I usually turn it on low, but it's up to
you.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA