Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MPLS Encryption

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:52:13 -0800

        The MPLS header should be tagged at the PE router and not at the
originating equipment. So if I encrypt (say using windows IPSEC/CA)
traffic from site 1 to site 2 through a MPLS tunnel everything should be
fine.

----------       ~~~~~~~~~~           ~~~~~~~~~~        ----------
| Site 1 |======>| PE RTR |++++++++++>| PE RTR |=======>| Site 2 |
----------       ~~~~~~~~~~           ~~~~~~~~~~        ----------

= Encrypted IP Traffic
+ MPLS Traffic with Encrypted Payload + IP Header

By the time your MPLS packet reached your router at Site 2 the PE router
has already stripped the MPLS header. In most situations the header will
be unencrypted, (unless it's part of another packets payload). To
encrypt the header all receiving devices will need to decrypt the packet
(Nodes, Routers, Switches, firewalls, etc). Encrypting the IP header
isn't too terribly useful anyways; seaming you can get that information
from your load IP stack anyways. Now how you want to encrypt the data is
all up to you. You can setup a SSL/IPSEC encryption device as a router,
or the network edge, using a custom key you can encrypt the traffic
between sites over the MPLS network and have another device decode at
the other end. I believe they call this 'Pass-Through Encryption', but
I'm no where near trying to keep up on all the marketing buzzwords. If
you have Cisco's at both ends you can setup IPSEC from there. You just
need to have the IPSEC train. Then all you need is a pre-shared key, and
an Encryption/Decryption sequence.

        I worked for an ISP that used MPLS as a 'VPN Alternative' for
customers on our network. We had a customer that encrypted their RDP
traffic from the remote sites to their TS server in the central office.
Because they never saw the MPLS header there was no way for them to
encrypt it.

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA