Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Apache AuthBasic

From: "Jon Mark Allen" <jonmark () allensonthe net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:49:38 -0600

Thank you very much for all your input.  It is greatly appreciated!

I do feel better knowing that I at least have the right idea.... :-)

Jon Mark

Miles Stevenson<miles () mstevenson org> 12/12/03 02:39:58 PM >>>
I think you are going down the right path.

Depending on the practicality, you may want to consider issuing keys for
the SSL site, and using public/private key auth via SSL instead of basic
auth. It's not too hard to setup with apache, but you will have to
distribute and sign keys to each user that is going to access the sight,
which can sometimes be impractical.

Other than that, the same basic rules apply:
1)Keep your systems patched.
2)Minimize and secure your server configurations. (if you don't need it,
don't run it!).
3)Read your logs.
4)Have a well configured firewall.
5)Snort rules!