Security Basics mailing list archives

Blessed Windows Security Templates

From: "RUSecure" <rusecure () earthlink net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:53:56 -0800

Hello all,

I have a special request from a client.

My client is looking for anyone who will help bless the use of ANY
security Template with use for Windows 2000 and a similar configuration
as I will describe below.  They would love to actually talk to someone
as well if possible.

I am on an SAP ITS Web front end engagement, so you can see why I am
recommending they seriously harden their front-end and back-end Windows
servers.

So here is the configuration.

Win2K SP4 running IIS 5.0.
SAP ITS Wgate on the front end
SAP Agate on the backend

I have NOT hardened anything yet... And desperately want to using
something the client can repeatedly reproduce for use within their
organization.

I am recommending they use a Commercial tool, but that will take time,
so MMC and templates for now.

I am suggesting they use one of the Center for Internet Security
Templates (CIS - www.cisecurity.org) which are the NIST and NSA
templates for the Wgate servers in the DMZ Agate servers as well.

I want them to have the ability of checking the systems using the CIS
tool and have some level of hardening.  I also suggest since they do not
use and security templates on standalone or through AD that they need to
move to this direction for repeatability and basic security worthiness.
They can use MMC to manage and apply these templates and command line it
for reproduction and compliance.

So has ANYONE used ANY template on a configuration similar to the one I
listed ?  It does NOT have to be SAP as any basic WEB front end using
IISLockDown with a Static Web server and NOTHING else required except
Insight Manager and SNMP and PcAnywhere.

I recommended the following templates:

Win2KSrvGold_r1.0.1.inf

Or

HISECWEB replacement Web_Secure.INF

Or what comes with Win2K out of the box

Hisecws.inf.

Need I say the lack of use hardened servers is of great concern and they
would desire to find someone that is actually using some "template.inf"
to secure their environment.

These servers are going on the Internet... !!!!!!!

H E L P !

Cheers,

MG