Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Port mirroring across multiple switches

From: "Hagen, Eric" <ehagen () DenverNewspaperAgency com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:09:55 -0700

Without RSPAN, the only way I can think of doing it would be to connect ALL
of the switches directly to the monitoring machine (with multiple NICs).
You don't want to loop one switches's mirror back to the other's ports.  In
addition, if the mirror ports are even close to saturated with traffic, a
hub will introduce collissions and bog down the switch (and likely
eventually force it to drop data or turn off the mirroring).

I'm thinking you might be able to impliment a "routing gateway" in front of
your monitoring station... with a machine acting as a router to forward all
of the packets from every segment on to a single segment without allowing
any traffic loops.  I'm thinking it might be possible to configure a
multiport hardware router to do this, but I can't see that being the most
economical means.

Careful with network loops.  They're pesky and can be very hard to trace.

Eric Hagen