Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security from VPN connections

From: FreyGuy <freyguy () newsguy com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:01:22 -0400

Hi Christopher;

Depending on how you have configured your VPN solution...:

Another option, if it fits into your environment, is to actually have the
"Private" or internal VPN interface in a DMZ, also controlled by the PIX
(given that you have more than 3 ports available on your 515.

Then, you can apply access-lists to the traffic coming from and going to the
private VPN concentrator's interface.

In the case of the Blaster worm, you could apply a list to prevent
135/137/139/445 traffic sourced from your VPN's "virtual" subnet.  However,
this might be impractical for you if your remote clients use Windows shares
across the VPN. If they just use email/intranet/etc., however, this might
very
well do it, especially for those exploits that utilize Windows networking
such
as Blaster.

KevFrey
Project Manager, Infrastructure