Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: aide security?

From: Pete Hunt <mail () petehunt co uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:38:16 +0100

At 07:26 25/08/2003 +0200, Janus N." Tøndering wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of preparing a new install of Debian for a machine.
Having installed aide it seems to me that it does not really help
anything. How am I going to the database trustable? Is there some way to
cryptographically sign it? Otherwise, an intruder could just as well
fiddle with the database, right?!

You could save a copy of the database to a floppy / cd. So long as you updated the copy when you made large changes to the system, you'd have a trusted database to check against if you suspected interference.

I haven't used aide, but this works with Tripwire (which does roughly the same thing). Tripwire signs the database as well.

HTH

Pete

Hope you can give me some pointers...

Janus N. Tøndering

--
Janus N. Tøndering <janus () bananus dk>

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier
technical IT security event.  Modeled after the famous Black Hat event in
Las Vegas! 6 tracks, 12 training sessions, top speakers and sponsors.
Symantec is the Diamond sponsor. Early-bird registration ends September 6.Visit us: www.blackhat.com