Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: traceroute-like tool for UDP or TCP packet

From: Edward Rustin <ed () well com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:36:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, some guy wrote:

Linux uses UDP packets to traceroute, not ICMP packets like windows does.
Hope that helps,
-Scott

Not really.... an ICMP packet is a type of UDP packet. Basicly traceroute
works by sending a series of ICMP ECHO requests with increacing TTLs (time
to live - how many hops the packet can travel before it dies and aPacket
Timeout error is sent). A ping is also just a ICMP ECHO message, just with
a defualt TTL, rather than a series of increasing TTLs.