Security Basics mailing list archives

CSMA/CD

From: ". ." <ajfomania () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:08:14 +0200

Hi there!
I'm currently reading a CCNA book, and I've got some questions I can't find an answer to. The Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection checks if there is any traffic on the wire and then starts to send the host's data, if someone tryes to send at the same time, the sending host sends the "trying" host a jam signal that would make the trying host to wait.If the trying host get's 15 jam signals at one time, it times out.

Some questions came up at this chapter. Is there any possibility to write a program that sends jam signals to other hosts within the same broadcast domain until they timed out and died ? Does this mean that IF you where to write this program, actually needed to rewrite a part of the tcp/ip protocol stack ? Isn't this a big issue?

Sorry for my bad english..

Best Regards: Fredrik Wessberg

Lättare att hitta drömresan med MSN Resor http://www.msn.se/resor/