Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Blocking port 4444 for W32.Blaster.Worm

From: Dave Killion <Dkillion () netscreen com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:21:29 -0700

Brett,

Well, the real idea is to block connections outbound *to* port 4444, which
is what Blaster does.  If you have any clients doing this, I'd be worried.

If you're concerned about blocking 'ephemeral' ports (random source ports)
then don't be - most programs are robust enough to retry the connection on
a different source port.

Never mind that we're not talking about blocking source ports anyway.

It's generally a more secure model to evaluate which ports *must* be open
both inbound and out, monitor those ports carefully (with patched
servers), and block all others.  The idea of permitting all except
blocking "bad" ports will always leave you two steps behind in a reactive
mode.

I hope this information is helpful - good luck with your security set up.

Dave Killion
Senior Security Engineer
Security Group, NetScreen Technologies, Inc.