Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: stego and executable files

From: "Tomas Wolf" <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 02:04:46 +0200

I believe that JPG embended trojans must be put into an environment that executes the code no mather what. Yes, I would
think that most of us know that MS Outlook (Express) is one of these environments.

So to embend an executable code within the picture, one would have to exchange some of the code for executable (or some
script). The other question would be -- will the program pass the executable or just mallform the picture? How does the
enviroment hanldes such situations seems to be entirely dependent on the environment (program).

For example if the environment will be "Exif Viewer", then it might just show garbage (if the graphic is destroyed) or
normal picture. Since this program only reads the values in palette to know the values of colors... But for
multi-executable environment, where it doesn't matter wheter it is picture or executable, there might be some sort of
chance embending the code inside a picture. But why to go into such a trouble while one can embend just "invisible" VB
script.

I hope that make sense :-)
Good luck -- Tomas

I saw the speech at defcon10, guy's name was Mike, he was
located in Baltimore, but now no longer works for the company
that he was with (have already called). They were working on .jpg
style trojans at the time...

The .jpg file I found had a self extracting executable...
stego embedded...
(basically a "dial home script" that enabled modem)
script was buggy...

This really intriques me and I really would like to know if
someone has finally made this work...it shines a new day on security exploits,
as well as security precautions !

Again, thanks for any and all info.

Rockit

=====