Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SmartCards

From: <Leonard.Ong () nokia com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:30:10 +0800

I find that smartcard implementation are propatiary in many cases.  The cards and the readers are not commonly
interoperable.  For example Acer Notebooks series 6xx and 8xx includes SmartCard reader and Security applications from
360 Degrees.  I've yet to see any other security application that can use the smartcard+reader built-in.

Wonder if there would be a day, where hardware/platform abstraction layer comes into Smartcard so that you can use any
smartcard and readers to do authentication or others function.

Regards,
Leonard